Friday, May 11, 2012

Citizens United* has changed...me

I was a little shocked when I caught my own train of thought after reading this:
A high school classmate of presidential candidate Mitt Romney told ABC News today that he considers a particular prank the two pulled at Michigan’s Cranbrook School to be “assault and battery” and that he witnessed Romney hold the scissors to cut the hair of a student who was being physically pinned to the ground by several others.

“It’s a haunting memory.  I think it was for everybody that spoke up about it…  because when you see somebody who is simply different taken down that way and is terrified and you see that look in their eye you never forget it.  And that was what we all walked away with,” said Phillip Maxwell, who is now an attorney and still considers Romney an old friend....

“When I saw the look on his (Lauber’s) face,  it was a look I’ll never forget,” said Maxwell. “When you see a victim, the sense of trust betrayed in this boy who was perfectly innocent for being different.”

“This was bullying supreme,” he said.
My thought was: this is what you need a Super Pac for.  Obama could never get up on screen and announce "I'm Barack Obama and I approved this message" after some sleazy secretive voice drools, "When Mitt Romney was in prep school...."   But someone should do it, because you can bet the contents of your own conscience that Karl "McCain-had-a-black-baby" Rove will throw whatever shit the GOP can dredge up -- or rather, make up -- at Obama.

Perhaps, if there were sufficient bucks on the Dem Pac side, the rival campaigns could impose some kind of Geneva Convention on their surrogates.  In the absence of such a pact, it will be the purest insanity if the Democrats unilaterally disarm.

* and the DC Court of Appeals decision governed by Citizens United, SpeechNow.org v. Federal Election Commission, which made Super Pacs "possible and legal," as plaintiff Ed Crane boasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment