Friday, January 25, 2008

Obama: Man, those Clinton Kids are Something...

I keep reading that Obama is 'timid' or 'hesitant' or "whiny" in dealing with Hilllary's attacks. I've never thought so -- I've thought that he's blended his message about trust seamlessly into his message about building a working mandate -- but this is just pitch perfect:

He brushed off concerns about a loss of black voters in the general election should Clinton win the nomination after an ugly primary -- a worry that many others in the party have alluded to.

"Black voters shouldn't blame Senator Clinton for running a vigorous campaign against me," he said. "That should be a source of pride. It means I might win this thing. When I was 20 points down, I was a 'person of good character' and my health-care plan was 'universal.' The fact that we've got this fierce contest indicates I'm doing well, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that."

Obama struck a similar tone when asked about Bill Clinton's role in the campaign. "Let me sort of dispose of the whole issue of President Clinton. I have said this repeatedly. He is entirely justified in wanting to promote his wife's candidacy," Obama said. "I have no problem with that whatsoever. He can be as vigorous an advocate on behalf of her as he would like. The only thing I'm concerned about is when he makes misstatements about my record. That's what I'm seeking to correct."

More than once, Obama has played the adult in the Clinton sandbox. The lion tamer, the ringmaster. "Hillary, I look forward to taking advice from you..."

Related posts:
Obama's "what I meant" moments
Truth and Transformation
The lying Clinton meme
Obama praises (Bill) Clinton, and buries him

4 comments:

  1. Hi, I just discovered, and may I say you've got the smartest read of Obama's message than anyone I've seen. I've always wondered why he hesitates/stutters so much when he talks. But reading your analyses makes me realize he's actually thinking, not just cranking out pre-scripted talking points.

    Keep it up! I look forward to coming back here.

    (Actually, if you've got the inclination and time, maybe you could answer a question I've always wondered about: if he's such a stellar intellect, why is the common rap on him that he's just all happy talk devoid of specific policy issues? See, for instance:

    http://www.cjr.org/campaign_desk/seeing_the_light_in_south_caro.php

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what "plum" said. Found your site thru Andrew Sullivan link.

    So very frustrating to have hope trashed within our own party by our party's most respected icon through layers of lies that makes the Republicans seem right all along about the Clintons. It is too much to bear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I agree that Obama thinks rather than rattle off briefing book non-answers as Clinton does or stump speeches as Edwards does. He's the only one of the 3 that has shown any wit/humor and its a pretty nice dry wit. The answer about Kucinich and UFO's was the best. I can't think of anything Bill Clinton ever said that was witty.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ditto Andrew Sullivan. However, your blog displays no 'About' page. Anonymous opinions are a dime a googol. If you'll identify yourself, I may listen to what you have to say.

    ReplyDelete