Thursday, February 05, 2015

Sail on, Sullydish

I have had a hard time getting my thoughts and feelings together since Andrew Sullivan announced the shuttering of the Dish, happening tomorrow. Like many, I imprinted what political blogging was in large part from Andrew; my own blog grew in part out of interior response -- often opposition -- to  the Dish. As many have noted, one of Sullivan's cardinal virtues is that he will engage with anyone who engages him in good faith -- and will link to anyone he thinks worth reading. Because of that openness, I've been privileged to keep up a running dialogue with him -- here, on the Dish, and via email.  Because the two-way dialogue is real, it always continues for me solo when I read the Dish, and that's what I'll really miss.

Obviously I'm not alone. The Dish crew has had fun with a flood of farewell reader mail this last week. One curated outpouring brought this raucous parting to mind:
“But the wild things cried, “Oh please don’t go - we’ll eat you up - we love you so!”
And Max said, “No!”
The wild things roared their terrible roars and gnashed their terrible teeth and rolled their terrible eyes and showed their terrible claws but Max stepped into his private boat and waved goodbye.”
Image here.


So sail on, Sullydish. I trust we''l hear from Chris, Patrick et al soon, and elsewhere. As for Andrew, after a longish or shortish hibernation I trust he'll yawn awake when the skies clear and grow lank with longing to re-engage the world..  

No comments:

Post a Comment